how do grease fires start
Many people regularly engage in the activity of cooking. Regardless of whether someone cooks to unwind and unwind or just to eat, they should be aware of the risks involved, you should know how to put out a grease fire safely
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking equipment accidents account for the majority of house structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments each year.
An annual average of 156,600 residential property fires involving cooking equipment were attended by these fire departments between 2007 and 2011.
The accidents resulted in more than 5,000 injuries, 400 civilian fatalities, and $853 worth of direct property damage on average.
The NFPA also says that the main cause of these kinds of fires is unattended cooking.
Food can catch fire when individuals leave their cooking unattended because temperatures can rise to extremely high levels.
Be aware that food and other cooking items cause about 67% of home cooking fires to begin.
A grease fire is one of the most frequent forms of fire that can happen when cooking.
When the grease in the pan and any grease that has splattered onto the stove’s surfaces ignites due to high temperatures, grease fires may result.
Grease acts as the fire’s fuel, making it extremely dangerous.
Grease often comes in liquid form, which makes it easy to splatter and swiftly spread the fire.
The following guidelines should be followed to safely put out such flames.
- The use of water could lead to severe burn injuries and the spread of the fire. The water will collect at the bottom of the pan, but due to the extreme heat, it will evaporate very rapidly. A fiery fireball can be created by evaporation, which can cause the burning grease to splash in all directions.
- Carrying the pan to the sink or outside is not advised because the splattering grease could cause you to catch fire.
The simplest approach to put out a grease fire is to switch off the heat source and smother it by denying it oxygen. To do this, turn off the burner and cover the pan. Simply turn off the burner and place a pan lid over the grease fire.
- Use baking soda – Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate can also be used to put out a fire. It’s crucial to remember, though, that you should never put out a fire with items like flour or sugar, which have a similar appearance. These flammable baking materials have the potential to spread fire.
- Use a fire extinguisher: These are especially useful against grease fires because they use powder-based chemicals like sodium bicarbonate.
However, the wet chemical class K fire extinguisher, which is typically utilized in commercial kitchens, is the most suitable type of extinguisher for fighting fat and oil fires.
Grease fires can cause expensive property damage and serious injuries, but they can also be avoided with the right information.
Call us at Idaho Disaster Cleanup at 208-415-4546 if you require assistance repairing a section of your kitchen that has been harmed by an unintentional cooking fire.
The state of Idaho as well as the city of Idaho Falls are included in our service region.Call Us